Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Home Study ;)

Some of you who are aware of the adoption process may have heard about the infamous "home study" - which I think they really should call the "parent study"! The home study can strike fear in the heart of even the most confident would-be parent as they dig around into your most intimate thoughts, ideas, hopes and dreams! Although I certainly feel it's a necessary part of the adoption process, it certainly can make one feel really vulnerable! All that to say, my adoption worker is coming over next week of check out my home - so I'm busy preparing by making sure all is in tip top shape for her visit! Mom and Ron are coming over this weekend to install some new electrical outlets and covers, hang a door in the basement, etc - (I didn't think that having exposed outlets would be a great thing for my adoption worker to see). Also, you'll all be very happy to know that I do indeed plan to make a trip to the grocery store in anticipation for the big visit! My mom reminded me yesterday that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have some type of food in the house when she comes over - you know, the basics, like some milk, bread, eggs.....details, details! I'll keep you posted on how things progress!

Thanks again for your thoughts, encouragement, and prayers as I walk through this process. I can't put into the words the support and love I have felt especially from my family and dear friends. Just yesterday, my Dad told me he's going to read a book about adoption so he can learn more! How amazing! Even though I'm single, I certainly haven't felt "alone" in this process. Not only do I feel God's love and support and guidance, but also feel such love and support surrounding me from family and friends! THANK YOU!

Also, to my mom, step-mom, and sister-in-law - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

2 comments:

tim, brooke, teagan, and wyatt said...

Hey Sis -Thanks for the Mother's Day well wishes! We continue to be so excited for you! Don't stress too much about the home visit...we really don't look that closely. :) Your home is beautiful and you're going to be an incredible mom!

Colette said...

Hey Sara--how exciting!! Good luck, take deep breaths! Hopefully by next year, I'll be wishing you Happy Mom's Day! Thinking of you--Colette